Termination of employment is never easy, but here are 30 Tips and Tricks to help the next one go smoother.
First, start with empathy for the individual no matter what state your relationship is in. This will be one of the most difficult things this person will go through and they will remember your words and actions for a long time – make them ones you want them to remember. Empathy will help you act with Respect and enable the individual to walk away with Dignity. You are an employer of choice and want to remain that way right through to the end of the employment relationship.
- Engage a professional. If you have an HR team back them up with an employment lawyer to ensure that steps are followed properly. If you don’t have an HR team working with an outside expert can save you years of heartache and financial loss from a possible legal dispute.
- Conduct the termination of employment on a Monday giving them ample time in the remainder of the week to meet file for government employment insurance, meet with a transition counsellor etc.
To download all thirty tips, click here.
Sara Tharakan is a Chartered Professional in Human Resources (CPHR), speaker, executive coach, and certified master trainer. She pulls from over 25+ years of experience in both the public and private sector and excels at helping organizations achieve results by getting the most out of their human capital. Her company, Strategic HR Services offers project-based engagements to fill specific HR gaps in your organization, HR Management & Advisory services to act as your HR team to develop and implement your HR program, and ongoing Mentoring to guide your in-house staff in implementing your HR program.
Sara is certified in:
- Psychological First Aid, The Johns Hopkins University
- TypeCoach, TypeCoach LLC
- Dare to Lead, Brene Brown
- ADKAR Change Management program, Prosci Canada
- Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Step I and II, Psychometrics Canada
-Group (GSI), Life (LSI) and Culture Inventory (OCI), Human Synergistics Canada
- Operations Leadership, Queens University
- Executive Project Leadership, University of Alberta
- Customer Service and Leadership, Disney Institute
- Brain-Based Coaching, Results Coaching Systems
- Lominger Competency Model, Lominger International
- Halogen Performance Management, Halogen Performance Management
- Hay Compensation, HAY Group
- Adult Trainer ~ Master Trainer Level, Langevin Learning Services
- Return on Investment, ROI Institute